BCom Degree for Aviation Management*
Now available for all aviation professionals!
*The BCom(Business Management) Degree Applied to Aviation Managment is provided by The Da Vinci Institute for Technology Management, in association with Status Aviation. The framework of the successful BCom(Business Management) Degree Customised for the Pilot Profession has now been expanded to include professionals from all parts of the aviation industry and this has been a project in development for years. We are pleased to announce that this expanded framework will have its first intake in October 2015 in the form of The BCom(Business Management) Degree Applied to Aviation Management.
The BCom for Pilots allows licensed pilots to receive credits for prior learning in their flight training provided that they can demonstrate how their aviation knowledge contributes towards the core competencies of Business Management and Aviation Management from a business perspective. This framework, which has seen 5 successful intakes, has now been expanded to include current and prospective professionals from all parts of the aviation industry.
- Why this programme?
- Benefit Summary
- Programme Contents
- Entry Requirements
- Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL)
- Pricing, Applications, and Admissions
This programme is designed for aviation professionals from all parts of the industry. This qualification aims to give comprehensive insights into the management of people, systems, technology, and innovation in business with a focus on learning about the aviation industry through key players in the industry. Suitable for all members of the aviation industry including: Cabin Crew, Pilots, Air Traffic Controllers, Air Force Personnel, Operations managers, safety managers, etc.
Who is this degree for:
- Students and professionals who want to be prepared for a management role in the aviation industry.
- Students and professionals who want aid in their career advancement in the aviation industry.
- Students and professionals who want to become a more effective employee by understanding and managing their role within the operations of an aviation business.
- Students or professionals who want preparation in order to manage their own aviation business.
- Pilots who not only want to do core business modules (as can be found in the BCom for Pilots) but rather want a more comprehensive programme.
- Students and professionals who want to further their studies in the Masters of Science (MOTI) Customised for Aviation Management and Leadership.
- Students and professionals who want to learn the ins and outs of the aviation industry directly from the leaders in aviation.
The following summary indicates some of the key benefits of the qualification for aviation management and leadership. These benefits are categorised for ease of reference:
- Focus on the application of knowledge in the real world instead of memorising theoretical concepts.
- Distance learning option available from anywhere in the world
- Facilitation sessions are optional and video recordings of these sessions are also made available online.
- Finish in your own time and study according to your own schedule.
- Receive credits for work already done during previous accredited aviation training.
- Registered NQF level 7 qualifications differentiate you from other applicants/employees
- Allows for diversification into other related career opportunities at airlines and other organisations.
- Registered Learnership: Employers may qualify for tax rebates, allowances, and grant funding for the programme.
- The registered academic qualification is something to fall back on.
- The qualification creates the foundations for a move to management
- Demonstrates leadership and management competencies to your employer.
- Provides a foundation should you want to start your own business.
The BCom (Business Management) Degree Customised for Aviation Management and Leadership programme consists of core modules and fundamental modules. The core modules are based on business management focussed on the TIPS model meaning the management of Technology, Innovation, People, and Systems. The fundamental modules consists of modules that aim to educate students on the inner workings of the aviation industry, the human factors that affect every aspect of the industry, the financing, managing and running of an aviation business.
The Bachelor of Commerce Business Management Degree Customised for Aviation Management and Leadership consists of a total of 360 credits. 96 of the 360 credits are at NQF 5 level, 120 are at NQF 6 level and 144 are at NQF 7 level. This makes the overall qualification an NQF level 7 degree. The following tables serve to illustrate the modules that form part of this degree:
*Please note that the modules, credits, and associated information may vary in the actual degree programme starting in 2014.
Click on the relevant module below for more details:
The Specific Aviation Subject modules account for 130 credits of the required 360 credits towards the Bcom qualification. The subject matter resides under three main modules:
Click on the relevant module below for more details:
Introduces the aviation environment, system and value chain. The learner is guided through the process of gaining insight into the perspectives of the key stakeholders on both the supply and demand side of the aviation value chain, namely; airlines, airports, aircraft manufacturers and customers.
The integrated nature of the aviation value chain creates an environment that is susceptible to influences by unpredictable factors such as disease, terrorism, politics, changes in supporting industries etc. As business leaders it is therefore imperative that we understand the scope of the effect of our decisions in order to navigate our organizations through this intricate and dynamic system.
This module builds a functional understanding of aviation business management in the context of a particular stakeholder on the integrated aviation value chain. The student is instructed to select a stakeholder that is relevant to his/her perspective on the aviation value chain. The student then investigates the inner workings of this stakeholder in order to understand how value is created and contributed to the integrated aviation value chain. The TIPS Framework is also employed in order to map out key managerial considerations within the selected stakeholder.
This module challenges the student to apply a combination of the knowledge of the integrated aviation value chain with the understanding of the workings of a specific stakeholder. At this point in the learning journey, the student has been exposed to the core Da Vinci philosophies as well as the TIPS management framework, which, together with the knowledge and understanding of the fundamental aviation modules, has moulded the student into a resourceful managerial leader in the aviation industry.
- Status Aviation and Da Vinci Institute Requirments
- A Grade 12 is required for the BCom Programmes as a requirement by the Department of Higher Education.
Recognition of prior learning is the process by which the outcomes of pervious learning experiences of an applicant are compared with the outcomes of the qualification for which an application is made. This experience can be in the form of practical work experience or theoretical knowledge gained from studying at another institution.
Licensed aviation professionals can receive credits for prior learning for their accredited aviation training and licensing, provided that they can demonstrate how their aviation knowledge contributes towards the core competencies of Business Management and Aviation Management.
Recognition of Prior Learning is typically applicable for:
- Pilot Licenses
- Air Traffic and Aerodrome Control Licenses
- SACAA Accredited Courses
Apply now to see if you are eligible for recognition of prior learning
The BCom (Business Management) Degree Applied to Aviation Management has two intakes per year, one during April and one during October. Application forms need to be submitted at least one month before the intake commences for inclusion.
Please fill in the form below to receive pricing information and the applicable application documentation: